Wednesday, May 29, 2013

happy birthday

the mirror has clouded over, and my reflection is blurry,
there is no spark in my eyes, or shine in my hair. 
the loud laughter has faded into fake smiles
and the warm hugs have turned into formal handshakes.

i am old now.
older than the trees that surround my soul,
colder than the seas in which i drown,
and darker than the nights that keep me awake.

as i line my eyes with soothing black carbon
and paint my lips with sad browns,
i think of all the quick forgotten kisses,
the hurried early morning hugs,
the incessant teasing phone calls,
shared beds and secret smiles,
the timely reminders of my loneliness. 

hurry up and make a wish on your happy day,
and i will make it come true.
but remember, when night comes
both of us will have to return to our darkness.