Monday, June 6, 2016

who do i think i am?

"till tomorrow, 
or till the end of time"


one night, the rain and i were at battle. he bore down at me, tired of my loneliness. i cried back, blaming him for making me believe in beauty. he thundered down, louder, drowning out my irrationality, unable to believe my stupidity.

"i'm here now, aren't i?", he shouted. 

suddenly, he left. i was furious, yelled at him to return, but i was answered only with silence. i couldn't stop my tears from falling, as if compensating for his absence. 

"where is he?!", i asked the trees and the stars and the skies. they look down at me sadly, commanded to silence by the rain god himself. 

i waited. long days and longer nights.
it was a new battle now; i wait and he watched me in silence. 

one night, as dark as the night we parted, he returned. i had no words to welcome him, and he asked no questions. he is the god of rain, after all; and who did i think i was?
"why?", i asked him, merely mortal.
he said nothing, knowing me to be the weak one. 

"why did you leave me?" 
"why did you believe i was here to stay?", he replied as he left.