Thursday, August 11, 2016

Romance for the atheists

You've watched me burn, now see me rise
All of this anger and hate, frustration in disguise.
This is not who we really are,
But I'm over you before you even get in your car. 
Stare into the sunset, sweetie, when you ride, 
I won't be by your side. 
You'll have your music and your wine, 
And underwear on the backseat that ain't mine. 
It's not surprising to see how this went down, 
We were too good to last,
it's true what they say about wearing an invisible crown; 
Keep your head high so it doesn't fall 
Baby, how did you manage to make me feel so small?
I was never a princess, I was the queen.
And now I feel like an empty chessboard, no moves left,
I've peeked through the smokescreen. 
I can't promise we'll be friends, 
I don't mean it and you don't make amends 
I will tell you that it was a beautiful thing, 
It was like 365 days of pure Spring. 
And now all we have left is broken doors
and a leftover wedding ring. 
Erase, go back in time, restart 
What a sad end to what could've been a work of art. 
Anyway, it's time for you to leave,
Turn around, forgive, forget and you better believe 
there will come a time when we will miss each other.
But you can leave now, because I need to call my mother.