Monday, August 28, 2017

the theory of limits

let me do the math, so you don't have to.
one and one is two, they say
but they didn't know about you.
the unknown value, the surprise factor,
the X axis to my why.

i am only a fraction
of you.
the sum of my parts,
the parts of me that you have touched,
will always be greater than the whole
world.
you and me,
we are the cross check
in the margin on the side.
unnecessary maybe, but the only thing
that counts for something.
the tables haven't turned, the rules have not changed,
i exist only in your mind,
like a formula for happiness,
that cannot be learnt by heart.
you and me, we are that perfect sum,
worked out through several layers of doubt.
you and me, creating that division of thought.
you and me, the hypothetical question
with an answer to prove them all wrong.
they look at us is amazement,
the brilliant perfection of odd and even,
and then they wonder,
why something is not adding up.