Wednesday, March 22, 2023

an evening walk, more epiphanic than the stars

 but if i let you go, i will never know, 
what my life would be, holding you close to me. 

big words, thrown around casually. 
expectations for instance.
so many syllables,
heavy to carry around.
they don't fit into my purse, i need a backpack.
and when the straps dig into my skin,
i ask myself why i don't travel light.
all my life can fit into two suitcases, 
but your words are baggage. 
anywhere i may roam,
where i lay my head is home.
when you roved around my head, 
were you looking for my heart? 
i've left it behind, it's in a box that i didn't pack. 
and if you thought i take it with me everywhere, 
you thought wrong. 
lying low, lying and lowly,
you were meant to rescue me. 
and instead, here we are,
with nothing, nowhere, all at once.