Monday, April 10, 2023

why are you surprised?

like the horizon waits patiently for the sun to return, 
i waited too. 
i looked to the stars for signs,
and they pointed nowhere. 
i asked the trees for stories of you,
but they just whispered quietly to themselves. 
i only know as much as you do, the wind offered. 
quiet words, not meant to be comforting. 
i threw my head into cold river waters, 
hoping the fish would spill your secrets. 
but they swam on by, deftly avoiding my tears. 
i wrote to the moon, asking for advise. 
and he left me unread. 

and one day, a cat came to me. 
sat by me, an arm's length away. 
her back arched when i reached down to stroke her, 
it was a subtle no, as if to say
you can see but you cannot touch. 
i understood. 
we both sat by the water, until the air turned cold. 
she knew i needed silence, 
and that's all she had to offer. 
her tail swung lazily as if cleansing my aura, 
her eyes fixed on my soul. 
she waited. 
while i cried and sobbed and laughed foolishly in between, 
she waited for me to finally sigh and breathe deeply. 
she blinked slowly while i looked up to the skies
and finally smiled. 
she got up and stretched, as i fixed my hair. 
she knew i will be alright. 
she let me go.
and with a swish of her tail, she told me to do the same. 
she turned around for one last look, 
why are you surprised? she seemed to say. 
you already knew that was the only thing to do.