Monday, September 12, 2016

Mother Mary

"It's only a coincidence if it happens once". 

Everyday I read some poetry. A few lines, a well-balanced phrase, a quote or sometimes, a whole three-scrolls worth of exquisite words making love. Some poems make me smile, some I forget quickly, and some I take into my soul, where it gives birth to many more. And they ask me, why I don't want to have children. 
On the contrary. My heart has given birth to a world of words, each of whom I cherish dearly. My poems are my children. They have been given to me by my lovers, my one-night stands, my husbands and my ex-lovers. Some have even been given to me by strangers. I know it sounds crass, but when someone is pouring their self into your eyes, you don't stop to ask silly questions. Some poems I look upon with disdain, like a tired mother would look at a neighbour's child in the playground. They seem fine, and yet they don't please you. Some poems make me burn with jealousy and envy. How can that kid be so perfect? 

And with all that joy and happiness in me, and around me, I never thought a day would come when I would wish for more.  I didn't even believe that something more existed. Until I met you. I thought I had exhausted all my words, swirling around in the ink pot, like children often do in pools, refusing to clamber out and dry themselves. I believed I was done, and was determined to be careful about the next one. Until I met you. 

You make me want to write. You make me want to open my heart, close my eyes and let the words flow through me, without consequence. You make me want to gleefully practise the art of making children, after all those years of having to be careful. And oh, the pleasure of abandon is immeasurable. Because of you, I've written on walls, in notebooks, on mobile phones, on installation art pieces, in songs, in the sands of the ocean, in the rain, in the darkest nights and the most joyous mornings. I've even written when I'm driving, knowing fully well the dangers that lurk around the next turn of page, and yet enjoying the thrill of you in me. I've written in meetings, in text messages, at marriage halls and malls. I've even done it on flights, in cars, in crowded pubs, in quiet temples, in misty New York City, in drunken states of misbehaviour. Because of you, I don't ever want to stop writing. I want to have countless children roam the world, all born from the gift of your love. They will be our legacy, our children, the greatest love story never told. 

Because of you, the world will remember me.